English is the Official Language of Ghana.
A: GOVERNMENT-SPONSORED LANGUAGES
1. AKAN (Ashanti, Fante, Akuapem, Akyem, Kwahu) (Written Twi)
2. DAGAARE / WAALE Spoken in Upper Western Region (UWR)
3. DANGBE Spoken in Greater Accra.(G/A)
4. DAGBANE Spoken in Northern Region (NR)
5. EWE ” Volta Region (VR)
6. GA ” Greater Accra Region (G/A)
7. GONJA ” Northern Region (NR)
8. KASEM ” Upper Eastern Region (UER)
9. NZEMA ” Western Region (WR)
Twi is one of the Akan languages, which are part of the Kwa branch of the Niger–Congo family. It is the most widely spoken language in Ghana. The dialects, especially Twi and Fante, are often given the status of separate languages.
Ewe is a Gbe language, part of the Volta–Niger branch of the Niger–Congo family. It is spoken by approximately 2 million people in the Volta Region of south-east Ghana. It is also spoken in Togo.
Dagbani, or Dagomba, is one of the Gur languages. It is spoken in the Northern Region of Ghana.
Dangme is one of the Ga–Dangme languages within the Kwa branch. It is spoken in Greater Accra, in south-east Ghana and Togo.
Dagaare is another of the Gur languages. It is spoken in the Upper Western Region of Ghana. It is also spoken in Burkina Faso.
Ga is the other Ga–Dangme language. Ga is spoken in south-eastern Ghana, in and around the capital Accra.
Nzema is one of the Bia languages, closely related to Akan. It is spoken by the Nzema people in the Western Region of Ghana. It is also spoken in the Ivory Coast.
Kasem is a Gurunsi language, in the Gur branch. It is spoken in the Upper Eastern Region of Ghana. It is also spoken in Burkina Faso.
Gonja is one of the Guang languages, part of the Tano languages along with Akan and Bia. It is spoken in the Northern Region of Ghana and Wa.
B: NON-GOVERNMENT SPONSORED LANGUAGES
1. ADELE Spoken in VR (Tutukpene & Nkwanta)
2. ANUFO/CHOKOSI Spoken in NR (Chereponi)
3. BULI Spoken in UER (Sandema)
4. BIMOBA Spoken in NR (Bunkpurugu)
5. BIRIFOR Spoken in UWR & NR(Bilema & Danvar)
6. BASSARI Spoken in NR…
7. CHUMBURUNG Spoken in NR & VR (Ekumdipe)
8. FRAFRA Spoken in UER (Bolgatanga)
9. GIKYODE/AKYODE Spoken in VR (Shiare)
11. HANGA Spoken in NR (
12. KONKOMBA Spoken in NR (Saboba)
13. KUSAAL Spoken in UER (Bawku)
14. KASEM Spoken in UER (Navrongo)
15. KOMA Spoken in UER (Yipabongo)
16. BUEM/ LELEM Spoken in VR (Jasikan & Bodada)
17. MAMPRULI Spoken in NR (NALERIGU)
18. MO/ DEG Spoken in B/A&NR (New Longoro & Bole Dist.)
19. NAFAANRA Spoken in B/A (Banda Ahenkro)
20. NKONYA Spoken in VR (Akloba & Wurupong)
21. NTRUBO / DELO Spoken in VR (Pusupu)
22. NAWURI Spoken in NR (Kitare)
23. SISAALA Spoken in UWR (Tumu)
24. TAMPULMA Spoken in NR
25. VAGLA Spoken in NR
26. WALI Spoken in UWR